Guest Free Member

Hastings: PFC Vincent Alfonso

NAVY CROSS CITATION

Alfonso, Vincent
    Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps
    Co. A, 1st Bn., 3rd Marines, 3rd Marine Division
    Date of Action: July 20, 1966

Citation:
    The Navy Cross is awarded to Private First Class Vincent Alfonso, United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism with Company A, First Battalion, Third Marines in Vietnam.

On 20 July 1966 near the Dong Ha airstrip, during Operation Hastings, Private First Class Alfonso was serving as a machine gunner with a twelve man patrol when the squad was ambushed while taking on water at a small stream by a force of about sixty Viet Cong.

In a matter of minutes enemy fire hit the group from three sides and the squad leader directed a move to key high ground in the right rear with Private First Class Alfonso designated to cover their move. Because his field of vision was extremely limited in the high grass and scrub, he courageously leaped to his feet and provided effective fire while his companions made their way to the new position.

When the enemy augmented their fire with several mortar rounds, he again stood in full view of the enemy and displayed extraordinary aggressiveness and courage as he fired two hundred rounds from the hip directly into the hostile position. As armed helicopters arrived over the scene and forced the Viet Cong from cover, he continued to pour heavy and accurate fire at the enemy.

When dangerously low ammunition supplies and a lack of communications forced the Marines to start withdrawing, he again displayed daring initiative and fearlessness as he exposed himself to the continuing hostile fire to cover the movement of his comrades.

His valiant effort throughout was largely responsible for the toll of thirty Viet Cong killed, and enabled his unit to escape from the hazardous area without sustaining any casualties.

By his extraordinary courage in the face of overwhelming odds, uncommon concern for others at great risk of his own life, and unwavering dedication to duty, Private First Class Alfonso reflected great credit upon himself and the Marine Corps and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Semper Fi PFC Alfonso

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the history lesson.
    Dong Ha? Is that where Col. Ripley was recognized for valor?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    If you think about it, you can tell he was just doing his job.

He did not initially know that he was ambushed by a force 5x his platoon, augmented with a mortar section.

He just knew that he had to effect his M60 to repel the enemies' assault. Damn fine job reacting to an ambush!

Knew Vincent

I served with him in RVN I too was in A1/3 until may 66 when i was transfered to H&S 1/3 to start up a CAC unit north of DaNang. We also were in 1/27 when we were sent back to states. He could make that machinegun sing.

Semper Fi
    Ed Riddle

Hastings was a real mother ------. I was pulled out halfway into Hastings to come home. My tour was over. I have never been the same senses.

many of us haven't been the same since. Especially at night or certin weather or sound conditions. I leave near a hospital that has a heliport. Every time I here a chopper I flash back to Nam.
    Semper Fi
    Ed Riddle a1/3 H&S CAC 1/3 65/66

ejriddleusmc========Welcome home. A job well done. Beleve me I know what you are saying. I am a medical retired underground coal miner. You would not believe the sounds you hear underground. That old mountain gets to groaning and bouncing (are as said on the crandall canyon mine disaster bump) it can scare the holy sh!t out of you. Funny thing about underground coal mining there were a whole bunch of Vietnam vets doing the job. I guess it is because you are on the edge again.

Thread Information